Saturday 1 December 2012

My feelings

My feelings about reading in English

I have to confess that I started reading this book in a bad mood. On that moment I was reading a book that was entitled Mockingjay, from The Hunger Games saga, and having to read an English book didn't make me happy.

However, the situation changed when I was watching and episode (in English, of course    -everything has to be said-) from the TV series The Vampire Diaries in which the young, evil but sweet with the girl, and attractive vampire mentioned the book of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. That day I started my school lecture.

At first, and as it can be seen in my first summaries, I wasn't very convinced about the book. I didn't like Mr Utterson, he seemed to have no personality, but that changed in chapter 7 (a bit late, I know). Other characters that I liked more were Dr Jekyll (although obviously not Mr Hyde), Dr Lanyon and Poole, who is the servant (I explained why do I like him in the summary of chapter 7 -I've just realised that everything changes there!-)

So, after all, this book hasn't been as bad as I had imagined. In fact, it was good compared to English lectures from other years. It wasn't a difficult book, and there weren't many words that I had to look for in the dictionary (except for the two or three last chapters).

One thing that I didn't like about this book is that it doesn't explain why did Dr Jekyll leave all his money to Mr Utterson, just because he's his friend? I wouldn't want to be this the reason. I loved the end of the book, and, just maybe, I'll read the whole version in a future. But I'm not sure I'll read it in English, that'd be too long!

Here I live some quotes from the book that I particularly liked:

"Every man has two sides to his character. He is two people. They live together -often uncomfortably- in the same body."

"Everyone is a mixture of good and evil."

"My good self and my evil self were fighting for my mind and body - and my evil self was winning." 



1 comment:

  1. Well done, Nuria. Very complete, nice blog design. 10

    ReplyDelete